Slider

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

dyptic self portrait in oil "The Two Raquels"

A couple years back, I painted a self portrait in oils. It took me a couple months but I think it was worth the time. Its done on two canvases and inspired by the painting by Frida Kahlo which is named "The Two Fridas".

I think in the back of my mind I was painting a version of me that I see now and another as an older version. The bubbles around the heads I did unconsciously but I think they symbolize a type of sainthood. Not that I think of myself as righteous, but  I was always stricken with the gothic or religious paintings that had the halos around the heads of people or saints. I think another message I was trying to convey was that of how pretty soon humans will need to breathe through sometype of respirators in order to survive on earth, if we keep treating it the way we have... All in all I wanted to keep the painting a little surreal.

Anyways... all of that is pretty deep... here is the piece. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment